are the primary source of energy for our body. Our body requires energy for daily activities, so carbs play a major role in our lives.
Whatever may be our fitness and health goals, one must know about the requirement of carbs by their body and what kind of carbs are safe and healthy for us.
When energy provided by carbs is not consumed by our body, it starts to store as fats, which is obviously not good for our health.
Carbohydrates are basically of two types:
1. Good carbs (such as oats, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta and sweet potatoes) digest slowly and keeps us full for a longer time and it does not spike our blood sugar level and goes into our bloodstream slowly which is absolutely good for us.
2. Bad carbs (such as refined flour(maida), white rice, white bread, white potatoes, pizza and burger) spikes our blood sugar level as it goes into our blood stream very fast which leads to diseases such as Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and also digestive problems due to less amount of fiber in refined food.
One should consume more whole food such as oats, brown rice, whole wheat bread than processed food such as refined flour, white bread, white potatoes and white rice as they contain more nutrients and the high amounts of fiber helps to digest these easily.
Now the question is how much carbs you should consume in a day. This depends on their goals and can be classified as follows:-
• Muscle building : consume 2 grams of carbs per pound of your bodyweight
• Lose fat : then 0.5-0.7 grams of carbs per pound of your body weight
• Regular body : 1 gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight
So it is not about avoiding carbs completely but rather being wise about choosing its quantity and type.